Thursday, April 1, 2010

entry 60

I haven't posted much this week. 
Not much to tell until yesterday!

Mom had a meltdown at the therapists office. 
 I told mom that I would be in the therapists office for a few minutes
but apparently she didn't remember. 
 {we were separated by one door in one wall}.  

Very long story short...
The whole way home mom went on and on about how someone
 should  have told her she'e be alone in the reception room .  

 I tried and tried to explain to her that I simply had to meet with the therapist,
she was to wait in the reception room
 and read the magazines and photo album I brought to keep her busy.  

It didn't matter what I said.
 She absolutely could not or would not understand.

I had planned to run several errands after the session.
When I pulled into the Walmart parking lot she wouldn't go into the store.

Mom, why?

 I might get left in the store! 

I'm safer in the car!

Don't leave the keys because someone might see them and kidnap me.
{any smart kidnapper would stay far away from my car}

By this time I was so frustrated with her.
I tried to explain that I simply needed to pick up a few items and she would not be left!  
Nothing worked.
She was convinced that this was some sort of ploy to leave her somewhere.
{believe me...at that point in time that was exactly what i wished i could do}

I ran into the store but was so anxious about her being alone in the car 
 I cut the list short and decided to go home.

By the time we got home I was frustrated to no end
 and  of course she was fine.

I started to get another migraine so I laid down to rest.  

At this point I figured she was on her own for a while.  
She had food, water, shelter and Bear.

I let John deal with her the rest of the night!

IMG_1340.jpg
mom in the reception room
IMG_1343.jpg
a small boy waiting patiently across from mom
{she had no memory of anyone else being in the room with her}

1 comment:

  1. Suggestion: when you have to go into the therapist's office (apparently so your Mom wouldn't hear), you might try bringing a portable DVD player with favorite program...and noise canceling headphones. Have the therapist also put on a radio so the outer noise is more confusing for your Mom to make out. You can practice with the DVD player in other situations to see if it works. I used it once to drown out screaming patient in Mom's hospital room. But when Mom ended the program and came back to the room consciousness, she had a freakout to match the screaming lady's. Anyway, this dvd player is also good to help engage CNAs, nurses, etc. Bring two pair of headphones so they can share the experience.

    ReplyDelete